Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cultivating Gratitude

_IMG_1823-2.jpg Gratitude photo image by beautyandbedlam

"I want that NOW!"
 "I feel like it"
 "Because I wanted to".....
"I wish"
"Hurry up"...
"I deserve that"
Oh what familiar words in this world; whether they be said by me, my boys, students or whomever.  This weekend while my family was waiting in the Starbucks drive through for TEN whole MINUTES, Ryan and I discussed how it was "just coffee" how hard could it be to speed things up!  It's crazy how we feel so entitled to whatever it is we want at the given moment. 
I typically think of myself as a very grateful person, in fact, I loathe the fact that some people rarely say thank you. 
 Going through the motions of our weekend, I caught myself seeming ungrateful at times. We did some sorting, organzing, and purging of many items. Ryan is the expert in organizing and purging asI tend to drag my feet and roll my eyes when he asks if we really need the fondu pot that is still in the box unopened. I have clothes in my closet I've never worn, but still hesitate to get rid of them. Shoes fight for space in the hallway closet, yet I complain I need more. I get aggrevated when Ryan tells me we need to "tighten up" our budget. I was annoyed when I couldn't get all the items I wanted at the Gap.  I become impatient that my house doesn't have the space I would like it to.  The list truly goes on and on.
Thank heavens I came upon this verse below...
Philippians 4:11-13 NIV
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
I've been reminded that by nature we are NOT grateful. I have some work to do, it seems.
"Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back in praise....if not, it turns into PRIDE and I then yearn for more."
I am learning to be GRATEFUL in all circumstances for he has given me more than I could ever imagine!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE how honest and humble you are!! I'm honored to work with you :)

    ReplyDelete

I love listening!

About Me

My photo
Totally in love with my life and I don't want to miss a thing!
treasures of mine